Memorial Hall Memories



Quotes / Memories collected at the Library
December 2012 – January 2013

“When I was a child I got to know the Beatles through their gigs at the hall. When they crowned the May Queen there were problems with the stage and The Beatles had to be sneaked away. A friend had a meat van so they were snuck around the back and into the van to make a gate away. I was in the back of the van them.”  John Harison
I played in a rock group called the Echoes. I have photos of me as a teddy boy. I’ll see if I can find some. I was 16 and played head guitar.
 “Going to see Steam Trains with my dad in the summer time”
“I used to go and see the Northwich and district choir. It was serious music but very good. I don’t think the choir exist anymore. I remember seeing Hannah Gordon there. She used to host a cabaret night.”
I go to the Northwich flower show once a year. I’ve been going for 15 years. They have stalls selling things and a demo. It’s always full to capacity. They have a raffle and I won it twice. The money for the raffle goes to charities like St. Lukes hospice. I go with a friend who is into flower arranging.
I went to a few business events there. I designed the graphics for both events. I’m in the library a lot so I will bring some in.
I go to Modern Jive dancing there. It’s a bit more forgiving and you can improvise. I went on my own which was good. If you go with a partner people don’t ask you to dance. I’ve not been for a while as my son just came over from Zimbarbwei.
It’s the best thing to happen. The building is “hedious”!
I went to see my niece and nephew in Peter Pan. They couldn’t do the flying but it was magical. It was a nice venue and it was good that they got to stage it at the hall for a change.
I have been in a few dance performances by the Joan Pierpoint Dance School. It was a modern jazz dance performance.
They used to do Pop Mobility there when it first started. It used to be packed with women dancing about. My husband used to do the door and I would do the cloak room. That’s where we did most of our courting.
1973 I went to see Latin American dance champions with my mum, that really inspired me to learn dance for myself. I also watched my own daughter on stage dancing for the Joan Pierpoint school of dancing.
I went to the Memorial hall for my lunch sometimes. I’d get a 3 course meal and it was fairly cheap. Sometime it was a roast. It was my mother in law who took me first when my children were young. She’s in a home now.
Saturday Nights to see some do the American Tamla Motown artists such as Edwin Starr, The Chilites etc. Also the Saturday ‘all Nighters’ with the sausage and baked bean breakfasts, although those memories are rather more hazy!
I used to go and see the kids when they were in the Riverbank Day Nursery Christmas play. My son played the inn keeper and he had to sing a song “and I forgot my words” He was shy and wanted to come and sit with me.
WRESTLING
1961 – First went to the memorial Hall when I was 16 with my dad. We were looking for a new Radio Gram. We had Christmas dinner there every year and I always enjoyed the wrestling matches between ‘Big Daddy’ and ‘Giant haystack’. Rae Williams
DISCO
I used to go to the Morg under 18’s disco. I had my first date there. People from all the Schools used to go so we arranged to meet there. The disco was run by the police. It was an effort to build bridges between the young people and the police. The Police would be there in plain clothes. It was really informal and good humoured.
I used to go to the Morg under 18s disco. I had my first dare there. People from all the schools used to go so we arranged to meet there. The disco was run by the police. It was an effort to build bridges between the young people and the police. The police would be there in plain clothes. It was really informal and good humoured.
Going to the Discos on a Wednesday and getting drunk on Merrydown cider at 14 J not letting my mum + dad know Tut Tut
 Working as part of the stage crew for Mid Cheshire Amateur Operatic Society for many productions – the fun, the camaraderie. Also playing the violin in the orchestra, for a few productions, notably The King and I. ‘After Show’ parties, and clearing up the hall on the Sunday.
I remember dancing enthusiastically to B52’s ‘Rock Lobster’ at The Morg Dance (1986) Me and Adele Hinchliffe sometimes dressed up like the Blues Brothers (chortle). Also getting my award contribution to the Community Guardian Angels Awards 2011. Very proud! And lots of fun with Jene-circus workshop, Pantos, Cbeebie Boogie Pete Show laughing our heads off, watching films and going to meetings…big part of our life really.
I saw Gene Kypeco the big band drummer at the hall. Big bands were dying off then and competing with bands like the Beatles. Peter M Coane
They used to have union meetings. I went to one in 1972 when I was a student – Students were much more political in those days. Peter M Coane
I used to go to my aunty’s slimming world. I used to play hide and seek whilst my mum was at Slimming World. Samantha Walker
My kids used to go to the kids discos. They thought they were the bees knees going to the Memorial Hall.
We have meals at the hall in the restaurant. They are the best loos in Northwich. We have the set meal which is normally soup, a meat or fish dinner and a pudding for £7.50. The Service is great. I went to the archaeology day, someone from Chester came and 2 or 3 people gave talks. Dorothy Wilton
I remember going to see bands and groups in the 60’s. I saw the Beatles. I can’t remember the dates. I performed in Barnton Variety Workshop panto. I was in the chorus I think it was Cinderella. I had to sing. It was great fun. The dress rehearsals were there. There are dressing rooms at the back. They are basic. One big room where everybody mucked in and helped each other. It was all ages from young ones to Edna who was in her 80’s.
Barnton primary School used to have singing concerts and there wasn’t a dry eye in the house.
I go once a week to the mature movers dance class run by Cheshire Dance.
We went there to see my daughter play in the school band just before Christmas 2012. “I play the clarinet and got to go behind the stage, it went really well”.
I used to go to the Morg under 18’s disco. It was a good laugh.
I worked for M+S and we used to set up a stall as part of jobs club.
I went to Cheshire Landscape Trust meetings there.
I remember going to some kind of fair on a Saturday, there were all sorts of stalls and we won some alcohol on the raffle. We were only 16 so the person wouldn’t give us our prize. After she had gone another person sneaked us the alcohol. I never kept the bottle.
Teddy Boys were banned from the Memorial Hall because of the reputation for violence.
I went to see Button Moon there. I was about 3 or 4. I remember Mr Spoon. It was puppets. As I got older I went to beer festivals twice, the first time I remember the food and beer were excellent. There was an excellent Hazlenut beer and a cider called ‘suicide’. The second time I stuck to a few beers and didn’t get too drunk. I went to the purple cactus club and saw some comedians. One of the comedians was Junor Simpson. It was busy and I bumped into some old friends.
I go to Tai chi there once a week.
I learnt to dance in Ardwick Manchester. When we came to Northwich we used to go to the Memorial Hall to do ballroom and Latin American dance. I may have some old tickets and other things. If I find them I’ll drop them off at the Memorial Hall next time I go dancing. Alan Lever
I saw lots of bands there. I saw the Beatles and Johnny Mathis. We used to go out as a big gang. People don’t seem to do that so much these days.
I remember going to see Julie Unwin. Her father was a solicitor in Northwich. Julie had just finished music school as an opera singer. It was standing room only and very warm that night and all the windows were open. We went and sat along the river with a glass of wine. The man sung ‘Nessun Dorma’ and had to re-sing it as an encore.
The Beatles came but I couldn’t get in, I had to look through the window. There was only one policeman there. We couldn’t see anything so we just went home. I go to flower arranging and Roberts Brass Band. Christine Johnson
I have performed as part of a ballet class probably 1962-3ish, we would put on a production for parents etc. My first live musical was to watch Brigadon performed by the Operatic Soc. I have been to many events, past and present. The dance floor is beautiful to dance on, it being sprung. Terry Pratchett spoke to a full house, quite a few years ago. Yes I have some good memories. Denis P.

1 comment: